Good news - 5 new Candystriper buses are now in service. Enjoy!
The CANDYSTRIPER is a Local Bus Service (Deviated Flexible Route Service) available in Torrington, Winsted and Litchfield; Monday through Friday; and also Torrington Saturday is operated by Northwestern Connecticut Transit District.
- The local bus service is a deviated flexible route service, which means the bus will travel 3/4 mile off its local bus route, upon request, to pick up riders.
Call Northwestern Connecticut Transit District at (860) 489-7433 the day before travel to make arrangements for pick-up. You can also request drop-off within 3/4 mile of the bus route when you are on the bus; the driver will try to accommodate your request within 30 minutes.
- Commuter bus service provides access to jobs in Torrington, Monday through Friday.
All vehicles are wheelchair accessible.
Riding the CANDYSTRIPER / Commuter Bus (Local Bus)
- Try to be at the bus stop at least five (5) minutes ahead of the scheduled time.
- Get on the bus and pay the fare.
- Ask the driver for a transfer, if needed, when you get on the bus. A transfer is needed if you take another bus to get to the place you want to go. Transfers are FREE, good for continuing a one-way trip on the next connecting bus, but can't be used for your return trip.
- Service animals such as guide dogs can ride on the bus.
Plan Your Trip Before You Ride The Bus
You should know:
- Your starting point (where you can get on the bus).
- Your destination (where you want to get off the bus).
- The time you want to leave or when you want to reach your destination.
- The amount of the fare and how to pay.